Edwin (Indonesia, 1978) is a filmmaker from Indonesia. His first short film was selected for the Quinzaine des Realisateurs at the Cannes Festival in 2005. His first feature 'Blind Pig Who Wants to Fly' received the FIPRESCI Prize at the IFFR 2009 and his film 'Postcards From The Zoo' was nominated for a Golden Bear at Berlinale 2012.
Graphic Design Diploma 3 (Universitas Kristen Petra)
BA Film (Institut Kesenian Jakarta; dropped out)
- Edwin will be on Berlinale's International Short Film Jury
- Edwin's film 'Someone's Wife in the Boat of Someone's Husband' will be screening at IFFR 2014. The festival will also be showing the footage from his graduation show 'HORTUS' as an 8 minute film.
- Graduation Show: ‘Hortus’, a one night exhibition by Edwin, exploring sensuality and intimacy in cinema
- Interview with Edwin: 'Exploring sensuality and intimacy in cinema'
- IDFA DocLab Live "Playing with Reality": Edwin's interactive documentary project '17,000 Islands'
- Edwin's film 'Postcards From The Zoo' will be screening at Berlinale in February 2012
Hortus - director
Graduation Show ‘Hortus’ is a one night exhibition by Edwin, exploring sensuality and intimacy in cinema. For ‘Hortus’, Edwin combines newly shot sexually explicit material with ethnographic archival footage in order to address notions of explicitness, repetition, voyeurism and exploitation in both colonialism and porn.
As an image-maker, Edwin’s interest lies with the sensuality of cinema: experience, imagination, memory are a result of the sensory experience of hearing, smelling, sight, taste and touch. For ‘Hortus’, he is exploring colonial imagery, which he believes to convey messages of desire based on the attraction to “the foreign other”. In a multi-screen 16 mm projector installation he will show his first shot on site porn film, juxtaposed with ethnographic archival footage clips from EYE. The rhythm of the two sources is synchronized, with the images affecting each other and molding their energy, forcing the audience to reflect on their own ideas of colonialism, sensuality, intimacy, nostalgia and guilt.
- 'Exotic Pictures', in development
- 'HORTUS' (one night installation, 2013)
- '17,000 Islands' (interactive documentary, 2013)
IDFA Doclab 2013
- 'Someone's Wife in the Boat of Someone's Husband' (feature, 2013)
Festival del Film Locarno
- 'Postcards from the Zoo' (feature, 2012)
Competition at Berlinale, Golden Bear nomination
- 'Roller Coaster' (short, 2011)
- 'Nairobi Notes' (short, 2010)
- 'Blind Pig Who Wants to Fly' (feature, 2008)
Tiger Competition at International Film Festival Rotterdam, FIPRESCI Prize
- 'Hulahoop Soundings' (short, 2008)
- 'Trip to the Wound' (short, 2007)
- 'Kara, anak sebatang pohon' (short, 2005)
Festival de Cannes, Quinzaine des Realisateurs