Lisa-Marie Vlietstra is a visual artist based in Amsterdam. She graduated from the photography department of the Gerrit Rietveld Academy in 2014.
Working within an interdisciplinary field of film, photography and the performative arts, her work uncovers a sincere interest in the psychological aspects of the human mind.
This derives from a necessity to come to an understanding of the world and the people in it, viewing them in terms of the ‘other’ and the ‘self’.
How do we relate to one another and how do we define ourselves towards each other?
How are we shaped to see and portray ourselves the way we do? By positioning the camera between her subject and herself, thus creating a power play, Vlietstra investigates the representation of the self as she enters the territory of an undefined relationship.
She attempts to transform the personal into the universal, dealing with the semantics of relationships, the origin of self, family, tragedy, addressing the human and the elementary.
Her films are imbedded with retrospective qualities that find their origins in her personal history, influencing her artistic practice, the work itself and inevitably the viewer.
A triangular dynamic she consciously integrates into her creative process.
Nominations and Awards
- Start Point Prize award DOX Center for Contemporary Art Prague
(Prize for Emerging Artists) 2014
- Public Prize award Ron Mandos Best of Graduates
(Public’s Favorite) 2014
- Nomination Steenbergen Stipendium
(Prize for Photography Talent) 2014
- ‘’I Am You Right on the Other Side of the Rainbow” 2015, film (first edit), 54 min.
- ‘’Look at Me’’ 2014, short film,10'04''min.
- ‘’We have to do this for Lisa’’ 2013, short film 19'07"min.
- ‘’Grandmother with Horse’’ (2012), short Film 7'06"min.