Do I need a visa?

Visas are not required by nationals of countries within the European Economic Area: EU countries, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Monaco and Vatican City. After arrival, you must register with the Netherlands Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND): All other international students must visit the AHK Central Student Administration (Centrale Studenten Administratie) upon arrival in the Netherlands to obtain a residence permit (VVR).

Students from Australia, Canada, Japan, Monaco, New Zealand, the United States, Liechtenstein, South Korea and Switzerland only require a residence permit; students from all other countries require a provisional residence permit (an 'MVV') to enter the Netherlands if they intend to stay for longer than three months and a residence permit for study purposes.

You cannot apply directly for a visa or residence permit; the AHK Central Student Administration (Centrale Studenten Administratie) handles all visa and residence permit applications.

Residence permits must be renewed annually. Please be warned: this means that you will have to meet the financial requirements again.



More information